Pages

Sunday, February 18, 2018

28 Heartwarming DIY Homemade Candles That Will Make You Happy

It is extremely rare that you will come into my house and I won't have at least one candle burning somewhere within it. For me, a candle is more than just something that smells nice, it can totally adjust the feeling of a room. By choosing your favorite scents, or seasonally appropriate ones, you can make a room feel more welcoming, and of course, give it a beautiful warm glow.

DIY candles can also be a great gift. Yes, you can buy them in many stores, but by making your own unique, homemade one in your loved one's favorite scent, you are bound to make their smile even wider.

1. Poured Mason Jar Candle

I love using mason jars for little DIY touches around the house, whether it's to hold pencils at my desk or as a quirky little flower vase. These homemade Poured Mason Jar Candles are simple but very effective and would be a lovely addition to any room.

If you are making this as a gift for someone then be sure to choose their favorite color or a color that you think would match well in the room where they spend the most time in. I love how large these candles are, of course, you could adjust that depending on what size of jar you use, but the ones in this example look like they would last ages. Remember that the color will get lighter as the candle cools, so don't be afraid to be a bit heavy handed with it.

2. Chocolate Brownie Candle

Of course, this Chocolate Brownie Candle isn't edible, but it certainly sounds like the scent might tempt you. Even people who aren't the biggest fans of chocolate, of whom I am yet to meet more than a couple, can't deny that the smell is delicious, who wouldn't want that wafting through their house?

This recipe is incredibly simple to follow, and you could use it to create a wide range of candles by simply switching out the wax cubes for a different scent. Pop this candle on in the kitchen and you might even be able to fool people that you had spent the morning cooking up a batch of brownies like the domestic goddess that you are.

3. Teacup Candles

These Teacup Candles are just the sweetest thing and would look so gorgeous scattered across a table at an afternoon tea, or even just around the house for use whenever you fancy.

I love how easily customizable the candles are. You could pick any teacups you want, going for something pretty and vintage like this example or something more quirky and modern. That also makes this idea a great one for up-cycling unused cups and mugs. The color and scent are totally up to you, although I think it could be pretty cool to play around with some coffee- or tea-like scents to really stick to the theme.

4. Funfetti Candles

The effect that covering the outside of this candle in sprinkles gives it is so bright and fun, and this is most definitely a gift that I myself would love to receive. It's bound to make anyone smile, especially if you dressed the jar up a bit with a pretty ribbon.

The multicolored sprinkles in this Funfetti Candle look really effective, but it could also be a lot of fun to play around with different ones. You get hundreds of different sprinkles in the baking aisle of any store nowadays, of all shapes, sizes, and colors, so don't hold back from trying out something different. I love the fact that this candle is cupcake scented, and think it would make the owner feel like it was their birthday every time they used it.

5. Pumpkin Spice Candle

I feel like you can make absolutely everything related to pumpkin spice nowadays, but I do really love the scent so I am not against it. I am definitely not against this Pumpkin Spice Candle, which would create the most gorgeous and cozy scent imaginable.

As silly as it may sound, I honestly believe that on cold stormy evenings, lighting candles with warming scents can help turn a horrible evening into a relaxing and comforting one. This DIY looks simple to follow, and because it uses actual pumpkin spice the scent will be authentic. I think this candle would be appreciated by anyone, especially those lovers of all things fall and cozy.

6. Rosemary and Grapefruit Candle

Even if these candles didn't have the most incredible scent I would still be totally in love with them, just look at all that pretty. Of course, the ribbon and rosemary would need to be removed before lighting, but this would be the loveliest thing to hand someone as a gift.

I can't recall having ever come across a Rosemary and Grapefruit Candle before, but it sounds like the perfect mix of herbal, fresh and sweet. You could use any container you want, but I think something like the gold ones used here makes the candle look even more luxurious and store-bought.

7. Pressed Herb Candles

These Pressed Herb Candles would make beautiful gifts, that is if you can bear to give them away after making them.

I love the fact that, when lit, the glowing of the candle shows through the wax and makes the herbs stand out even more. You could get really creative with how you decide to decorate your candle, sticking to a more simple design with one or two herbs or going all out with many different varieties. These would be perfect for anyone who loves their garden, and I don't know what it is about it but I see this working best in the kitchen.

8. French Vanilla Candle

Imagine filling a hot bath right up to the top with bubbles, popping in your favorite bath bomb and lighting a few of these French Vanilla Candles around the bathroom. I almost feel perfectly relaxed just thinking about it, blissful.

One of my favorite things about this candle is that it is scented by entirely fresh ingredients, with the vanilla beans and coffee beans, meaning that you will get that beautiful scent coming through and almost believe that you're sitting in a coffee shop in Paris. Such a lovely scent obviously deserves to be held in something equally as lovely, and the little china pot they have used in this example is a perfect match for me.

9. Strawberry Lemonade Candle

I love my sweet and fruity scents, so I am definitely sold on this Strawberry Lemonade Candle. This would be absolutely perfect to light on a summer's evening, or equally on a cold winter's one to make you forget about the cold outside.

The vibrant pink color is really cool, and I can imagine younger girls being really into it, I know my little sister certainly would be. The DIY is easy to follow, so you could even get them involved in the fun of making it too. The jar almost makes it look like an actual strawberry lemonade that you might buy at a trendy bar or cafe, which I think only adds to the fun feeling of it.

10. Champagne Flute Candles

What could be more romantic than a homemade dinner, the table set with your best crockery and adorned with these Champagne Flute Candles?

This candle recipe is incredibly basic, with no scent or color, meaning that you are entirely free in adding your own. You could utilize this DIY in many ways, experimenting with objects that could be used as candle holders other than champagne flutes. I must admit that I think it's a shame the wax doesn't stay the same color once it dries as it does when it's melted because in that state it really does looks like real champagne.

11. Citronella Candles

Citronella Candles are an absolute savior when it comes to warmer nights. All you want to do it sit outside and blissfully enjoy the evening in great company, but instead, you are attacked by pesky mosquitoes.

It never occurred to me that I could actually make my own citronella candles, but from now on I will definitely be making sure that I have a batch on standby ready for whenever I might need them. I love the look of these candles in tin cans and think it gives a really cool rustic feel to it, much more stylish than a bulky citronella candle you would buy from the store. This recipe even has extra scents added in, so you will have a candle which is both effective and delightful.

12. Pineapple Candles

These super cute Pineapple Candles could double up as fun room decor, that's how great they look. I especially love the fact that this DIY has gone to the effort of making little green leaves for the top of the jars to perfectly mimic a real pineapple.

You could just make the candle itself of course without going into decorating it, but I know I wouldn't be able to hold myself back considering how sweet it looks when all done up. The contrast between the bright yellow and green is eye-catching, and these would look really good as decoration at an evening garden party, while simultaneously giving off the most deliciously tropical scent.

13. Pressed Flowers Candle

I don't think I have ever seen a candle quite as pretty as this one. I would pay a fair few dollars for this in a store, never guessing that it was a relatively easy DIY to tackle for yourself.

This Pressed Flowers Candle DIY doesn't include instructions on how to make the candle itself, but luckily for you, you are currently looking at a list that is full of them. You could apply this pressed flower design to any candle, homemade or store bought. I think this is so incredibly beautiful, and anyone would be so pleased to receive it as a gift. You could be organized and create a linear pattern or go crazy and let your imagination run wild with different flowers and designs. Let's not lie, the latter sounds far more fun.

14. Chai Tea Latte Candle

I am not the biggest fan of coffee, and on the rare occasion that I do drink it, it tends to be something highly sugared with some vanilla or caramel flavoring, so not real coffee. If I am ever out at, or passing, a coffee shop, what I go for instead is a chai tea latte.

The scent of a chai tea latte is almost half the reason why I love it so much, it just smells delicious with all those warming spices. I absolutely love how they have presented this Chai Tea Latte Candle, and I don't think I have ever seen wax being whipped in order to create an effect like this. This would look so cute set out on display, just be careful you don't forget that it isn't real and attempt to take a sip of it by accident.

15. Seashell Candles

I have been the world's biggest lover of the beach for as long as I can remember, and when I was asked the classic ‘what do you want to be when you grow up?' question as a little girl I would undoubtedly reply ‘mermaid' every time.

My grandparents live by the beach and to this day we will go down and collect shells on the beach on our walks. I have so many shells in my collection now but have never known what to do with them. That was until I came across these Seashell Candles. This DIY is a beautiful way of displaying the shells without ruining them, and a cluster of these in all shapes and sizes would make the most beautiful table centerpiece.

16. Lavender Rosemary Candle

There are both the essential oils and the dried herbs of both lavender and rosemary in this candle, which means that its scent is most likely to waft beautifully around the house, a characteristic I definitely appreciate in my candles. I like that you can see the bits of real rosemary and lavender in the melted wax as the candle burns too.

Anyone who is a fan of herbal or calming scents will absolutely love this Lavender Rosemary Candle, and I think even just making it would be a treat for your nose. This candle would go well in any room of the house, whether it's in the bedroom to send you off into a deep night's sleep or in the hallway to welcome guests into your exquisite smelling home.

17. Glitter Candles

I absolutely love a bit of glitter. Actually, that was bit of a lie, I absolutely love a lot of glitter. I can imagine younger girls would absolutely love these, so they would make a great gift to little sisters or cousins on any occasion.

These Glitter Candles are so pretty, and a lot of fun. I have seen things like this in stores, but they would be a lot more fun to make yourself considering that it would allow you to pick your colors and jars. The metallic colors used in this example are extremely effective and pretty, but I must say I love the idea of having at least one absolutely full of multicolored glitter.

18. Wax Free Candles

According to this DIY, making these Wax Free Candles means that your candle will last far longer than it would if it were made of wax, which obviously melts.

This recipe uses vegetable shortening instead, and the only wax included is that from the crayons used for coloring, which you could easily swap out for food coloring if you would rather. The scent and color are just as easy to adjust in this recipe as they are in any other. There are even instructions for how to make this candle in the microwave in a mere few minutes, so if for any reason you are in need of a few candles in a hurry then this is definitely the DIY for you.

19. Candy Cane Peppermint Candle

I am fully aware that the festive season is over, but there is no harm in keeping this recipe tucked away until it comes around again, which it will far faster than we expect no doubt.

You would struggle to find a candle more festive looking than this Candy Cane Peppermint Candle one, I especially love the fact that it is layered to look like a real candy cane. I have had peppermint candles before, but none quite like this one. The scent of peppermint is always so fresh, so I don't think you should feel restricted to only making this in the holiday season. One thing I think I might adjust a tad when making this would be to add a little more red wax, just to get a stronger contrast between the red and white layers.

20. Massage Candle

Professional spa massages can be incredibly pricey, so why not make up a little spa gift basket for your special someone and include one or two of these Massage Candles.

When I first read that the idea of this candle was to pour the wax onto your skin I wasn't too sure, but after looking into the recipe and all the nourishing oils and ingredients I am desperate to give it a go. I like that this recipe gives you some essential oils to add but doesn't specify which ones, meaning you can be totally free in your choice, maybe even mixing and matching more than one to create the perfect, relaxing fragrance.

21. Grapefruit Candle

I find the scent of grapefruit so energizing and refreshing, so I really love the idea of having this Grapefruit Candle burning either in my bathroom or bedroom in the morning as I get myself ready for the day.

There are a number of other deliciously fresh scents going on in there along with the grapefruit, like orange, lemon, and ylang-ylang, which is a new favorite of mine. This citrus-scented candle is a refreshing change from other more warming, sweeter scents, which I personally really like. I also love the fact that this DIY tells you how to make the little wine glass turned candle holder that the candle sits within because I love how simple yet stylish it looks.

22. Apple Pie Candle

Here's another delicious candle that would trick any guests into thinking that you frequently spend your mornings casually baking cakes and pies for your family.

Apple and cinnamon are a match made in heaven, both in taste and in scent, so this Apple Pie Candle is bound to smell absolutely delightful. This method is straightforward and very easy to follow, so perfect for a last minute gift or a candle making beginner like me. I am also really fond of the mason jar they have used in this example, it looks like a really good size that would last a decent amount of time. If you'd rather a few smaller candles as opposed to one big one then that'd be easy to do too.

23. Color Block Crayon Candles

I can get over how well these Color Block Crayon Candles have come out, especially considering how simple they are to make. I have a feeling that more than a few crayons might be about to go mysteriously missing around my house…

I have seen a few candle DIYs that use different colors to create layers, but they are usually straight so I really like that they have gone for something a little bit different here with the slanted layers. You can get crayons in just about every color so there is no limit on how imaginative you can be with the combinations you try out in your own candles. When unlit these candles would still look incredibly cool as room decor, and you could use very neutral colors just as easily as you could bright ones so that you can adapt them to any room in the house.

24. Ice Candles

I have never seen anything quite like these Ice Candles before, and when I first stumbled upon this DIY I just had to know how they were made.

I really like the fact that this DIY can also be made with old candles, to freshen them up and give them a new lease on life. To make these ice candles you basically put some ice cubes in the bottom of a milk carton and pour hot, melted wax over the top of them, meaning that the wax holds the shape of the ice as it solidifies. The DIY gives a far better and more detailed explanation than I just did of course. It gives the candles the most interesting appearance and is far more simple to do than I imagined at first glance.

25. Satsuma Candles

As far as homemade candles go, the Satsuma Candles are pretty genius.

I would never have thought to use the peels of satsumas as candles, but I am most definitely going to start doing it as I can just tell that the scent they'd give off would be absolutely amazing, and so fresh too. I love how natural these look, and because of how inexpensive and easy they are to make you could throw them out after one use and make more without it hurting your pockets. I would be interested to see if this technique would work with other citrus fruits like lemons or maybe even grapefruit.

26. Watermelon Candles

How cute are these little Watermelon Candles, with all the colored layers and little seed details? Imagine having these set out along with some of the pineapple ones, now that would be the ultimate garden party set up.

Even if you didn't want to make these candles look like watermelons, though I'm not sure why you wouldn't, you could take inspiration from this DIY and make fun layered candles of any color you want. These would be a great addition to an otherwise neutral space, adding a little pop of color. I think I might make a couple and have them sitting on my desk, I always like to have candles there for when I'm working and these ones would undoubtedly put a smile on my face.

27. Cookie Cutter Candles

You could have a lot of fun with making these candles, and you are only really limited by the number and shape of cookie cutters you can find. This would be a really fun DIY to get the kids involved with, it is obviously not the best of ideas to let them loose with hot wax but they could enjoy choosing the shapes and colors.

These Cookie Cutter Candles could be adapted to suit a specific celebration based on the shapes you use, or you could have simple shapes around the house whenever you like.

28. Cinnamon Candle

In my opinion, you can't really go wrong with the sweet, spicy scent of cinnamon. It isn't a scent that I would wear on myself, but I would be perfectly happy if my house smelled like it all the time, and I'm hoping that this Cinnamon Candle will take me one step closer to achieving that. You get a double hit of cinnamon here, with both the essential oil and the ground spice.

I absolutely love that the cinnamon settling at the bottom of this candle creates a natural ombre effect, a candle characteristic that I will now not have to pay extra at a store for. I love the rich caramel color that this has when it is melted and am glad that it still maintains a hint of that in once cooled.

Now It's Your Turn

Whether you want to make one of these homemade candles as a gift, or on any other day for that matter, or if it's a way of treating yourself, you can't go wrong with any of these incredible DIYs. There really is something for everyone, from those who would prefer something relaxing and herbal to those who love their sweet and fruity scents.

I personally love warm and comforting scents so there are quite a few standing out to me, like the Pumpkin Spice Candle or the Chai Tea Latte one. I also love how fun the Color Block Crayon Candles look, and would love to play around with different colors and combinations.

Which of these homemade candles would you love to receive this February? What kinds of scents do you tend to lean towards when picking your candles?

This article first appeared on morningchores.com Original Article

The post 28 Heartwarming DIY Homemade Candles That Will Make You Happy appeared first on Homesteading Alliance.

No comments:

Post a Comment